Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Mysterious Windshield Crack

DaGrovz

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Dodge Challenger Hellcat Jailbreak B5 Blue
Hey everyone, I was driving to work this morning, and when I parked there I noticed about a 6" crack on the passenger side of the windshield. This is on my 2023 Challenger HCJB I bought 6 months ago and drive part time. I have been driving for several decades now, and have been through a few windshields. In every previous case there was an obvious rock hit, or at least an impact point that could be identified even if I didn't hear it initially. In this case it appears perfectly clean, and after coming home from work now extends half way across the windshield. Oh, and I live in Houston, where the temperature has been in the mid 90's since I have owned the car. no possibility of thermal shock here lately. A quick search didn't reveal any Challenger windshield issues like this. Has anyone ever dealt with a new windshield warranty claim like this?

I did notice at least one thread on the topic of whether or not to claim a windshield on insurance. I have been driving about 35 years without a single automotive insurance claim. I have eaten a couple of windshields, and a couple of other minor things on the theory of keeping my insurance rates low. It doesn't seem like I gain any advantage over similar drivers. The rates keep going up, up, and up. I will read about that and rant later.

72 440 Barracuda

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Air Force Veteran
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Graham
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Was the crack going to (or from) the edge of the windshield?
I have noticed more than once that a crack originated from the edge of the windshield seemingly out of the blue and for no reason, but later found a chip at the windows edge...

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Hey everyone, I was driving to work this morning, and when I parked there I noticed about a 6" crack on the passenger side of the windshield. This is on my 2023 Challenger HCJB I bought 6 months ago and drive part time. I have been driving for several decades now, and have been through a few windshields. In every previous case there was an obvious rock hit, or at least an impact point that could be identified even if I didn't hear it initially. In this case it appears perfectly clean, and after coming home from work now extends half way across the windshield. Oh, and I live in Houston, where the temperature has been in the mid 90's since I have owned the car. no possibility of thermal shock here lately. A quick search didn't reveal any Challenger windshield issues like this. Has anyone ever dealt with a new windshield warranty claim like this?

I did notice at least one thread on the topic of whether or not to claim a windshield on insurance. I have been driving about 35 years without a single automotive insurance claim. I have eaten a couple of windshields, and a couple of other minor things on the theory of keeping my insurance rates low. It doesn't seem like I gain any advantage over similar drivers. The rates keep going up, up, and up. I will read about that and rant later.

Just an FYI, I don't know if you've replaced a modern windshield or not, but the days of a $300 windshield are long gone.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I replaced mine on my Jeep this year and was told it wouldn't go against my insurance by my agent

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I replaced mine on my Jeep this year and was told it wouldn't go against my insurance by my agent
What else did he tell you :giggle::giggle:;)

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

If it started from the bottom and worked it's way up...and yer100% sure there's no impact...stress crack due to less than perfect installation...triggered by something as simple as a minor pothole..or entering a drive way @ a specific angle...it happens

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
What else did he tell you :giggle::giggle:;)
Lots of stuff, saved me money many times. Not all agents are bad

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Lots of stuff, saved me money many times. Not all agents are bad
My agent...(over 30 yrs....personal/commercial)...is one of my best friends...;)