Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Lithium ion battery for the Hellcat

Taxinator

Member ID
Reactions
City
SANTA CLARITA
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT
My stock battery has finally died at the 7 year mark. Ordered a Kepworth lithium battery (size 082-20) from Amazon https://a.co/d/5e8BXoX. Although Amazon stated 4 to 5 weeks for delivery, the battery arrived in 4 days.

When the delivery arrived, the box contained an Ingeosolly lithium battery instead. I sent a message to Kepworth and they replied within the hour. They confirmed it’s the same battery, but with a different branding. They also refunded $120 plus tax, because the price dropped 4 days after I placed the order. The battery is now listed at $359.

The new lithium battery is the exact size as the OEM battery, but weighs 20.4 pounds versus 44.4 pounds for the OEM. After the install, the car started quickly…definitely faster the stock. The voltage is between 13.8 to 13.9 at the start and then settles at 13.9 after ten minutes. The OEM usually settled at 14.1.

Long term performance is pending, but it has started well…pun intended. IMG_2042.jpeg IMG_2041.jpeg IMG_2040.jpeg

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
My stock battery has finally died at the 7 year mark. Ordered a Kepworth lithium battery (size 082-20) from Amazon https://a.co/d/5e8BXoX. Although Amazon stated 4 to 5 weeks for delivery, the battery arrived in 4 days.

When the delivery arrived, the box contained an Ingeosolly lithium battery instead. I sent a message to Kepworth and they replied within the hour. They confirmed it’s the same battery, but with a different branding. They also refunded $120 plus tax, because the price dropped 4 days after I placed the order. The battery is now listed at $359.

The new lithium battery is the exact size as the OEM battery, but weighs 20.4 pounds versus 44.4 pounds for the OEM. After the install, the car started quickly…definitely faster the stock. The voltage is between 13.8 to 13.9 at the start and then settles at 13.9 after ten minutes. The OEM usually settled at 14.1.

Long term performance is pending, but it has started well…pun intended. View attachment 143195 View attachment 143196 View attachment 143197
Nice there are options out there and not a bad price

Unholy707

6000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
I got almost 9 years out of my factory battery

DGatzby

7000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
It says it is just over 17 lbs! Mine in the 2019 is getting weak. It has only allowed the race cool down once in about two months to operate. @Taxinator this one seems like a real good value. I may get one. Thanks for posting.

GNBRETT

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Trackhawk, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Stang, Golf R
Ive had my share of lithium batteries and one thing I can tell u is if u let them drain out and die there is little chance ull bring it back to life without a dedicated bring back to life charger like NOCO Genius10 sells on Amazon and even then its sketchy if they will work properly again. U will always need a tender on it if u dont it will die thats 100% fact!

I dont even fuk around with junk lithium batteries anymore which is why I bought the Anti-gravity version one with RE-START technology. Yea, its expensive but wont ever die on me. Also weighs 14.5 lbs. I opted for the 1500 CCA version probably not necessary but neither was a lithium battery ha. U can opt for the CCA at 1000 at 9.5 lbs.

If the voltage gets too low the battery shuts off. U can reactivate it by pushing a button on the battery or they give u a remote in case ur battery is in a crappy location like where mine is in my Trackhawk.

These cars have electrical systems that are very complicated and finicky I would not screw around with a junk lithium battery off Amazon but thats just me.... two each his own. Btw I bought the (3) cell Darrel Cox CF Lithium and it caught on fire and started smoking one day so fuk that thing and it was $900 smfh.....

Taxinator

Member ID
Reactions
City
SANTA CLARITA
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT
Ive had my share of lithium batteries and one thing I can tell u is if u let them drain out and die there is little chance ull bring it back to life without a dedicated bring back to life charger like NOCO Genius10 sells on Amazon and even then its sketchy if they will work properly again. U will always need a tender on it if u dont it will die thats 100% fact!

I dont even fuk around with junk lithium batteries anymore which is why I bought the Anti-gravity version one with RE-START technology. Yea, its expensive but wont ever die on me. Also weighs 14.5 lbs. I opted for the 1500 CCA version probably not necessary but neither was a lithium battery ha. U can opt for the CCA at 1000 at 9.5 lbs.

If the voltage gets too low the battery shuts off. U can reactivate it by pushing a button on the battery or they give u a remote in case ur battery is in a crappy location like where mine is in my Trackhawk.

These cars have electrical systems that are very complicated and finicky I would not screw around with a junk lithium battery off Amazon but thats just me.... two each his own. Btw I bought the (3) cell Darrel Cox CF Lithium and it caught on fire and started smoking one day so fuk that thing and it was $900 smfh.....
I wonder how long lithiums can go before they die? 🤔 The Charger is no longer my daily, but I do drive once or twice a week.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I wonder how long lithiums can go before they die? 🤔 The Charger is no longer my daily, but I do drive once or twice a week.
Yours temps are probably higher year around then mine but I keep my battery in a warm place in the winter and it only drops about .3 voltage over a few months

If you re driving every week I would think you would be fine. If sitting for a period I would either put a charger on it or disconnect it so the car isn't pulling from it

I can tell you in cold weather sitting for less then 2 weeks will drain it. These batteries are suppose to last 10 years

GNBRETT

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Trackhawk, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Stang, Golf R
If its really cold out! 1 day! If its warm out ur fine for a few days maybe a week. I just put tender it on every night.

Last edited:

catdad

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lake City
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
@Taxinator hopefully this battery will last longer than the autozone agm I put in 2020. I blame the tazer for ruining it. Glad its gone now.

catdad

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lake City
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
Amazing, already a tracking number from the CA warehouse.

catdad

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lake City
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
Well got the battery today. Now I can take my jump box off the car. Hopefully this makes it more than 3 years.

jgilj

1000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooksville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
21 Challenger Super Stock
Let us know how it works out!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Interwebs
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Demon 170
My Arc Angel was still going strong last August when Go Man Go was stolen. I think I'd had it 5 or 6 years.

catdad

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lake City
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
So I put it in this morning.Pissed at the old AGM battery as it vented in the trunk and I had to clean that up and kill the acid. Anyway its amazing how fast it spins the engine over at start up. I can now also use the factory cool down that I was never able to use due to battery voltage. Driving down the road voltage is steady at 13.7v

Unholy707

6000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
What year is your car? Glad to see someone else with lower voltage

catdad

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lake City
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat

Stl376

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
O'fallon
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat A8
My Darrell Cox Battery is still running from May of 2019. Does need a NOCO charge if it sits for more than 2 weeks now, but will charge and hold. I remove it in the winter months.

Octanewide

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
My Darrell Cox Battery is still running from May of 2019. Does need a NOCO charge if it sits for more than 2 weeks now, but will charge and hold. I remove it in the winter months.
Yep just checked my paperwork mines been flawless since 4/2019

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
I’ve had an Arc Angel in 2015 since 2017 and one in my 2019 since 2019 and no issues to date.

catdad

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lake City
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
@Taxinator Thanks for the heads up on the battery.