Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

P0300 After 2 runs at dragway - UPDATE 8/14/24

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

2000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #21
At the very least pull the plugs and inspect them, all 16, BEFORE beating on it anymore.
2-3 hour job with the right tools. Drivers side pretty easy, passenger side just unbolt the coolant tanks 10 mm nuts and and bungee cord it up and out of the way. Look at posts I’ve made on doing it for tools needed to make it easier.
2-3hrs, for you! You can do a pulley and a tune in that time and maybe even a dyno pull! Me, it's a full day, and that is if I don't break or screw up something! And that would cause me to miss the event, and there is only one this year. I have learned to avoid starting projects that have a hard time limit.

I suspect the problem is PCU. The car was fine after the runs. The error code appeared after parking for 20+ min and reinflating the tires. I'd think if there was a "real" problem, the code would have appeared immediately after the last run. And it would have re-appeared during the 50mi test drive and dozen or so pulls.

Considering everything, I think I am ok to run, it is either that or likely miss out on a chance for 200 and wait for next year.

I appreciate your suggestions, you are the Go MAN Go! But I think I’m going to roll the dice on this one. Besides, it is under warranty, theoretically…

Thanks for the help.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
That don’t sound fun. My local dealer rates are now $205/hr, which sucks. Glad I only have about 10k on the engine right now @EricG.

I just paid $205 per hour at my local Lexus dealer for a little work. Think my local Dodge dealer is still only $150 per hour.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I just paid $205 per hour at my local Lexus dealer for a little work. Think my local Dodge dealer is still only $150 per hour.
Yeah ONLY $150:rolleyes:

Back in my early 20s I decided to learn how to do my own work on cars. Figured there would be a lot of money saved in labor costs. No internet so only help was books or instructions. I may be slow at times but can get through most projects. Having the internet is like a cheat code and I will search what I'm going to do being there are way smarter people then me and they may have found a better way to do something

Unholy707

6000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
I’m holding off on doing my plugs and coils u til I replace the valve covers. Have done the plugs twice now. Easiest time was when the supercharger, engine wiring harness, cable shielding box, and all intercooler lines and reservoir were removed

Bowlerguy92

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Hellcat Charger Redeye Widebody
Lucky for me, I didn’t have to bother with new plugs because I had to drop a completely new engine in entirely. Dodged that bullet, phew!

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

2000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #26
Lucky for me, I didn’t have to bother with new plugs because I had to drop a completely new engine in entirely. Dodged that bullet, phew!
You definitely got your money's worth! :)

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

2000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #27
Good news is, at Land Speed trials it did not throw any codes.

Bad news is, the trans is f'd up!

Last edited:

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Good news is, at Land Speed trials it did not throw any codes.

Bad news is, the trans is f'd up!
Dang, hope they fix it quick under warranty!

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Glad I only have about 10k on the engine right now .
I'll rest easy then. If I can't get my annual mileage up to even 1,000/year, those plugs will last me for a while.

Anyway, yes, a 5.7 was no big deal.

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

2000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #30
Dealer read the codes:

7E8 Engine, P0300
7E9 A/T, no other information

Found 2 bad injectors. Tech said he not only noticed these two drawing excess current, but he could actually hear they were different than the others. He said he has seen this before, maybe a bad run of injectors. Very possible it caused the trans problem I experienced at Land Speed Trials.

If it was misfiring at Land Speed Trials and caused the shift/power problem, I guess 195 wasn't so bad. Have to wait until next year to see if it is really fixed.

Good news is: they found a problem that could very well be the reason for the symptoms.
Bad news: won't know for sure until next year.