Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Demon, not the 170, is it limited by knock?

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Looking at the crate tune timing maxes out around 18 at full cylinder fill. Is this knock limited with 100 octane. If not then why increase timing over the demon timing table? E85 burns a bit quicker so I would think by going higher you may lose power. I have a feeling though the 100 octane tune is limited by knock and hence some up the crate timing by 2 or so.

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
TBD
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Sufficient for most applications
If you are referring to the unlocked pcm that came in the crate, it is my understanding that the 840 HP tune uses the knock sensors. The tune is activated by a HO button in the dash cluster that is pushed. The cluster could not be installed with the unlocked PCM had 500 miles. These items had to be installed at the dealership.

Last edited:
OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #3
That I know. But you can copy the timing table to a 2016 hellcat running on e85. I was wondering if it was just a tune limited by knock. It probably was. E85 is more knock resistant and hence mysel and others even run 2-3 more degrees of timing while on E85 over the crate tune from the demon.